Our Greasy Little Secret!
The first night of Chanukah is right around the corner and after close to 80 years, Selfhelp has fried up close to 100,000 latkes – now that’s a lot of potatoes!
So… we letting you in on our greasy secret that tastes OH SO GOOD.
We’ve reduced our recipe down from 40 cups of peeled and shredded potatoes -so that you can feed 10 hungry friends with delicious latkes.
Here is what you need to feed 10 hungry friends:
- 4 cups of peeled & shredded potatoes
- ½ cup of grated onions
- 5 tablespoons of salt- more? You decide!
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup of flour
- Around 1 cup of vegetable oil for frying
(Grapeseed oil for faster and quicker browning)
Chanukah Happiness in 10 Easy Steps:
- Peel and shred the potatoes, remove the liquid with a cheese cloth-or do it the old-fashioned way and squeeze by hand a little at a time.
- Shred the onions and mix them with the potatoes.
- In a large bowl, beat or whisk eggs with the salt.
- Mix the eggs and potatoes and onions together.
- Add the flour a little at a time.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until it’s hot.
- Place a scoop of the potatoes mixture in the hot oil.
- Press down on each scoop to form a ¼ inch or ½ inch patty.
- Brown on both sides, and let the oil drain on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with applesauce and sour cream on the side.