Outdoor Visits At The Selfhelp Home During The COVID-19 Pandemic
Chicago is currently under Tier 3 Mitigation that temporarily prohibits outdoor visits.
Starting on Monday, June 29 we will allow a limited number of daily outdoor visits. Our process has been developed based on the guidelines issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). We ask for your cooperation and that you take the time to carefully review our guidelines to ensure we are all doing our part to keep our community safe.
Scheduling the Visit
- Families must schedule an outdoor visit in advance. Joni Schaum will be managing the visitation schedule. To schedule a visit, contact Joni by phone 773-596-5813 or email [email protected]
- Visiting times are 30-min long and are limited to two visitors per resident (or resident couple).
- Every visitor must answer prescreening questions 24 hours before the appointment. We will contact you for the prescreening so please make yourself available.
- We will accommodate up to eight scheduled visits a day. Initially, as we introduce this schedule, we are only arranging one visit per family in order to accommodate as many visitors as possible.
During Your Visit
- We understand you may want to give hugs and have physical contact during the visit, however, it is very important that you do not have physical contact with each other and maintain the 6-foot distance.
- During your visit everyone must be wearing a mask. Please wear your mask correctly, pulled up over the nose!
- You do not need to bring lawn chairs. Furniture has been arranged to ensure there is proper physical distancing. Please do not move the furniture.
- Do not bring food or drinks to share during your visit. You may bring food to enjoy later but eating during the visit will require masks to come off and this is not permitted.
- If hearing is an issue, a portable voice amplifier (“Pocket Talker”) is available. Please let us know in advance if you would like to use this technology.
- Residents with an active COVID-19 infection will not be allowed to participate in an outdoor visit.
- Residents that are in quarantine or are pending test results should not participate in an outdoor visit.
- The outdoor visitation areas will be cleaned and sanitized between visits.
- If you have specific questions for staff about your family member, please contact us separately to discuss. Staff will not be available to address general care concerns while you are here visiting.
- If after your visit you develop any symptoms of COVID-19 such as a low-grade fever or cough, please inform us immediately.
- In the event of inclement weather, we will reschedule your visit to the next available time, or you may proceed with your visit via the glass-enclosed vestibule area (the resident in the lobby and the visitor in the vestibule).
- If you are running late, please let us know. You may still proceed with the visit, however, we cannot allow you to go over the allotted timeframe.
When You Arrive
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled visit time.
- When you arrive, pull into the driveway in front of the building. A greeter will conduct an on-site screening – you do not need to exit your vehicle. If you are on foot, you can meet the greeter in front of the building.
- If you do not see anybody outside of the building when you arrive, please call the Front Desk (773-271-0300) and let us know you are here.
- After the on-site screening, you may park in the back of the building and walk around to the front of the building for your visit. We have blocked off a few spots in front of the building for outdoor visitors on a first-come basis.
- If you park in the back of the building, please do not walk through the building. Please walk around to the front of the building.
- Bathroom visits are not permitted during the visit.
- Two canopy areas on the lawn in front of the building have been designated for visits. Please wait in the designated area under the canopy.
- Staff will bring the resident to the visitation area.