The Selfhelp Home, a continuum of care residence for older adults in Chicago, IL, seeks a full-time Director of Development to assume responsibility for all aspects of the organization’s fundraising. This is an ideal opportunity for a candidate with annual and major gift fundraising experience, including expertise in donor cultivation/stewardship, supervising support staff, and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Familiarity with senior housing services and Jewish traditions are a plus.
About The Selfhelp Home:
The Selfhelp Home is an active and engaging not-for-profit retirement community dedicated to the well-being and quality-of-life of older adults. It is designed to accommodate older adults as they age through a continuum of care that includes independent apartments, assisted living, nursing care, short-term rehabilitation, and out-patient services. This “five-star” residence, as rated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), was founded in 1951 by Jewish Holocaust survivors seeking to help each other. Its rich history is like no other senior living community in Chicago. For more information visit, www.selfhelphome.org.
- Maintain and grow a comprehensive fundraising program to oversee all fundraising efforts, including annual campaign, major gift and capital campaign initiatives, endowment and planned giving.
- Provide strategic long term vision for the Selfhelp’s development efforts, including the management of internal record- keeping systems.
- Build on Selfhelp’s current major gifts program, prioritizing, stewarding, and researching potential donors. Establish and steward relationships with key donors and prospects.
- Liaise with local and national corporate and foundation prospects/donors; including prospect research, grant writing, reporting, and relationship management.
- Plan and implement events, including an annual gala, donor stewardship and recognition gatherings.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Selfhelp’s volunteer Development Committee, keep the Board of Directors informed of all key fundraising and marketing initiatives, and engage the board in fundraising and outreach activities as appropriate.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of fundraising vendors. Help to build the Development Department.
- Work closely with the Marketing Department to coordinate communication strategies.
- Oversee Selfhelp’s donor database management and work collaboratively with the Home’s chief financial officer to ensure accurate fundraising records and reports.
This position reports to the Selfhelp Home executive director and works cooperatively with the Board’s Development Committee.
Desired Qualifications & Skills:
- Minimum 5-7 years of successful nonprofit fundraising and communications experience.
- A passion for providing quality care for older adults and the ability to share Selfhelp’s mission with
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with stakeholders and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with proven ability to write and speak persuasively.
- Strong track record of annual campaign growth, organizational development, analytical and strategic
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and supervise staff members.
- Comfort with social media, data management software and online fundraising tools.
- Understanding of Jewish heritage, culture, and the impact of the Holocaust on Jewish survivors.
Please email resume, cover letter and salary expectations to:
Executive Director Sheila Bogen at [email protected]